Lowers Risk Group Joins Ranks of Supporters for Nov. 3-9 Awareness Campaign
Organizations lose an estimated 5 percent of their annual revenues to fraud, according to a 2012 study by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE). To help shine a spotlight on this global problem, we are participating in International Fraud Awareness Week, Nov. 3-9, 2013, as an official supporter to promote anti-fraud awareness and prevention.
During Fraud Week, we will share articles and resources designed to help you understand best practices of fraud prevention and fraud risk management. Check back here often and be sure to follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+.
In its 2012 Report to the Nations on Occupational Fraud and Abuse, the ACFE found that:
- Fraud schemes are extremely costly. The median loss caused by the occupational fraud cases in the ACFE study was $140,000. More than one-fifth of the frauds involved losses of at least $1 million.
- Schemes can continue for months or even years before they are detected. The frauds in the study lasted a median of 18 months before being caught.
- Occupational fraud is a global problem. Though some findings differ slightly from region to region, most of the trends in fraud schemes, perpetrator characteristics, and anti-fraud controls are similar regardless of where the fraud occurred.
- Small businesses are especially vulnerable to occupational fraud. These organizations are typically lacking in anti-fraud controls compared to their larger counterparts, which makes them particularly vulnerable to fraud.
- Tips are key in detecting fraud. Occupational frauds are much more likely to be detected by tip than by any other means. This finding reinforces the need for promoting awareness to foster an informed workforce.
For more information about increasing awareness and reducing the risk of fraud during International Fraud Awareness Week, visit FraudWeek.com.
About the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
Founded in 1988, the ACFE is celebrating its 25th anniversary as the world’s largest anti-fraud organization and premier provider of anti-fraud training and education. Together with more than 65,000 members, the ACFE is reducing business fraud worldwide and inspiring public confidence in the integrity and objectivity within the profession. For more information, visit ACFE.com.